top of page


If you are looking to apply for a 'child arrangements', 'prohibited steps' or 'specific issue' order under the Children Act 1989 you can do so online or using a paper form by completing a c100 application. But before you make your application you will likely need to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM). There are some exceptions to this requirement such as child protection concerns or domestic abuse but for most people this a required step.

Where can I find a c100 form?

You can apply online using this link or by downloading the form here. If you're applying online you can save the application and keep coming back to it as you fill it in. If you are going to print it off, it's often suggested you print a few copies of the form and fill it out in pencil first as you may wish to make changes as you complete it.

Can I get help completing the form?

It can feel overwhelming looking through the application form. You can hire a legal advisor who can advise you and will complete the application for you. But this isn't an option for a lot of people so there are other services that can support you with the application process. Support Through Court (STC) is a charity dedicated to providing free, independent assistance to people facing proceedings without legal representation. You can find your local branch here. STC can explain how the court works, help fill in forms, organise papers, and help you plan what you want to say in court, and if needed, go with you to court to provide support and help afterwards. However they cannot provide legal advice or representation. 

How much does it cost?

It costs £232 to apply for a court order. You may be able to get help paying court fees if you’re on benefits or a low income.

Before you apply

Before you can submit your application most people need to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM). It is a meeting where a mediator will provide you with information on mediation and discuss with you whether mediation or another form of family dispute resolution is suitable for you given your particular circumstances. For more information about this meeting please see our blog 'What is a MIAM?'

Next Steps

So you know you need to book an appointment for a MIAM, what next? We can arrange an appointment with our service within 24 hours. You will meet with one of our accredited FMCA mediators who can sign the required page of the court application and email it across to you or to your solicitor the same day as your appointment. You would then be able to submit your application. 

Complete our referral form now to get things started

Pax Mediation Room


  • Formerly known as Family Mediation North East

  • Since 2012 we have helped over 14,000 families sort out their disputes

  • We have over 50 years of combined mediation experience

  • All our mediators hold the FMCA qualification which evidences we are qualified to the highest standard

  • We have provided online mediation since 2012 and are considered leading experts

  • We offer a super-fast service, with next-day appointments available

  • We hold a Legal Aid contract so can provide FREE mediation to those who are eligible

bottom of page